Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Sofia's x-rays

I wish I had a picture of them. Perhaps when I go meet the vet and look at them I can capture them digitally to share here. I do love x-rays of a horse's feet. Am I weird?

Anyway, the results are: no bone involvement with the puncture wound of this spring. I had the vet/chiro here to assess her readiness to resume some 'work'. HA! Work? This gal doesn't know the meaning of the word. She lives the life of leisure with the occasional request to carry me around for 1/2 hour. I do want more with her and she has the mind to take us exploring. Meanwhile, that vet said get x-rays. Not the first time I've heard that suggestion.

But I was ready to find out what they show and did get the x-ray vet out here. I am glad to now know there is no bone involvement. But Sofia is still off. I hate to call it 'lame' but I suppose it is in fact lameness we're talking about. Vet/chiro and X-ray vet both tell me to put her back to work. Oh, I hadn't the boldness to tell them it won't be "back" to work, simply "to work". And give her some low dose of aspirin to reduce the little bit of swelling in her foot and relieve some pain that may get worse once I ride her more. The idea is -- and won't be confirmed without an MRI which means it won't be confirmed at this point -- that scar tissue within her hoof capsule is limiting her movement and indeed a bit painful. But work will help her break the adhesions and leave her more flexible and mobile as originally designed.

So, good news. Nothing can be defined as limiting to her future! I have ridden her a few times since those vet visits. We're working on the basics of go, turn, and stop. Once she is more responsive to my steering requests, I'd like to take her out on a trail ride!

No comments: