Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Our good mom

The bantam hen who conscientiously hatched out a dozen eggs earlier this summer (sure doesn't feel like summer tonight!) is sitting again. I estimate any new hatching should occur in about a week. I wonder if she'll catalyze the miracle again?

We have to rearrange some of the bird housing if she does. We put our two new blue peahens in the pen where the hen is broody. Hen is in a little gambrel hutch, peahens are either pacing the fence line or roosting as high as they can get.

The last hatch have taken to roosting in the larger peafowl pen where in fact they grew to a feathered and flying age in safety. The main bird predators here are hawks. So one night I will move each of those youngsters to another roost, and then move the peahens to that larger pen.

Some day I have to let the white peahen and her chick out of the barn. They've been living in a stall with a window, again for safety reasons. How will I know when the chick can fend for her/himself? I wonder if the hen/chick pair would share the peafowl pen with the new blues.

I know, pictures are in order!

No comments: