Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Bats!

So much is going on this time of year, however I am excited to have met two bats this evening flying 'round and 'round in the barn. I did net one of them long enough to have a little look at it then it figured out how to get free of the netting which was clearly too open to hold that clever creature.

RNB says they are probably looking for a cave to winter in. The barn would not be enough temperature protection for them -- sure, for tonight but not for the winter months. I hope they find someplace suitable.

We are being visited by young skunks, probably also looking for a winter home. I can tell when a new one arrives because the dry cat food -- left out for our barn cat -- disappears much faster than her usual consumption rate. So I put out the have a heart trap and the next day ask RNB to please relocate the guest.

They are cute. Too bad they eat cat food, bird food, and raw eggs, not to mention their unwelcome odor should I surprise them!

No comments: