Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Tuesday update Sofia

Yesterday her temp was down to 99.5 which helped me realize she had been running a low grade temp since I started taking her temp. Swelling seemed a little worse at her heel bulbs, but she was moving a bit more easily and when standing still to eat for example, she was shifting her weight a little onto her tipped toe and back again, back and forth.

I contacted my vet and we agreed that another round of antibiotics would be a good idea. She finished up yesterday morning and starts again this morning. I applied Traumeel topically last night after soaking her hoof. Traumeel is a homeopathic remedy to be used after traumatic injury. (That might be a redundancy, to use traumatic and injury together! Aren't all injuried traumatizing to body tissue?!!) Anyway, I massaged her heel bulb area which seemed tender to her, and gave my intuitive version of a lymphatic massage up the leg.

This morning, even better news. When walking she is weighting her foot right through the stride. Brings foot forward, puts it down -- this is all in very-lame-slow-motion -- and limps forward leaving that foot on the ground through the stride. I'm very excited about this!

I'm still undecided about my upcoming travel plans. Today I am attempting to precisely quantify and write down instructions for RNB as he has continued to offer to do Sofia's care if I decide to go away as planned months ago. I had to come to terms with the likelihood that he can indeed do what I'm doing, that I'm not absolutely required to be here as if I'm the only one who can provide her care. Especially with her looking better today, I'm feeling more confident about leaving for 4 days. Not fully confident, but more confident!

1 comment:

Zinnia said...

I am glad Sofia is improving. I know how it feels to step on a nail-- I consider the pain far worse than childbirth. It took me six weeks to walk normally again so iot may take her several weeks to feel recovered... I say all that to be ENCOURAGING! It's a long process, but she will feel better eventually I think.