Tuesday, July 29, 2008

New life in July

Nothing like some new life to brighten my life.

This is not one of our farm animals, however it is young and has made a home here. We will be trying to relocate it to prevent garden devastation!



Our Nigerian Dwarf goats have been popping! So far, two sets of twins from earlier this month, and one single born yesterday.

Doeling twins and mom. (I had a naming game last winter for our unnamed goats however this gal never got a name. Suggestions are welcome!)



Joanie and her buckling twins.



Bliz's buckling, who looks identical to Bliz's last buckling.



It's fun when Bliz has kids because she was a bottle baby and is tame. So it's pretty easy to get close to her babies.



The hen who hatched a dozen eggs -- they are all thriving. They love it when I bring them a fresh handful of grass and weeds.



This picture of them makes me feel dizzy! Soon we will let them out of confinement as the chicks are feathered and starting to fly.



I've been watching our white peahen sitting on three eggs in the raspberry patch. I should call it a raspberry tangle due to our lack of pruning for a few years. Great spot to hide a nest! Yesterday I noticed the nest was empty and some shell pieces strewn here and there. A fox disaster? This morning I saw the pea hen resting in one of our outside pens. Thinking she might be injured as well as exhausted from her broody time, I brought her some food. She got up to come eat and oh-my-oh-my-oh-my, she was sitting over one live peachick! Very exciting indeed and let's all put out good thoughts for this little one's ongoing survival! Thanks!

4 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

What is that animal in the first picture? It looks like a cross between a guinea pig and a rabbit. I love it. Can you ship it to me? I don't have any gardens for it to destroy.

Lasell Jaretzki Bartlett said...

Nuzzling Muzzles -- that is a young woodchuck aka ground hog. He/she does have a thin hairy tail, about half the length of his body, but he/she tucked it in when he/she went into this frozen/hiding mode. I had never seen a young woodchuck before and asked RNB what it was. I couldn't think of anything else it could be, and indeed, RNB and some online images (thanks, Google Images) confirmed. We generally relocate the unwanted animals relatively locally by trap and truck, so sorry, I won't be asking for your shipping address! LOL

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Darn. Thanks anyway.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh that little pea chick is so darling. Can you put the hen and chick in confinement until it's grown a bit bigger?
I wonder if this chick will turn white, like it's mama?

Nuzzling Muzzles, you do not want to woodchuck, silly girl! I know you have allergies, but you just have to get yourself another guinea pig. Maybe a hairless piggy? You've got it bad! hehe

Rural Ramblings, I have a great name for your doe. How about Rue? (sort of short for Rural Ramblings)
Her babies could be Ren and Stimpy.
Or Ren and Reardon.

I loved seeing all your goat pics today :)