Sunday, June 29, 2008

Knock, knock. Who's there?

Sunday afternoon. A knock at the door. I look out the window as I approach the door. State Trooper? Hmm, I wonder if someone else has complained about our birds in the road. Free range birds -- just can't control them!

Trooper: "I was driving by and heard a loud screaming and thought I would make sure everything is alright."

Me: "Oh, I bet you heard one of our peacocks. They sound just like a person in distress."

Trooper looks around, unsure, eyes bugging a little as if it's his first day on the job, maybe his first cold call after suspecting domestic violence.

Trooper: "Sorry to bother you, M'am."

Me: "Oh, I'm glad you stopped and checked this out, glad you were concerned when you heard that noise."

I wonder how he'll write this up in his report today!

2 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Bwahahaha! That's funny!
They do sort of sound like a woman screaming or laughing. All depends on how you look at it. haha

One of our valley neighbors aquired some peacocks last month. Everything echoes in our valley and makes it feels like we all live next door instead of a few acres or miles away.

The peacocks ae very loud, but we like them. They give a sort of tropical feel to the area and remind me of the ones that roam Ft. Wilderness Campground at Disneyworld. I suppose you could say that peacocks remind me of being on vacation, now that I see it in black and white here! hehe

I hope you share some photos of your peacocks here one day, too.

Grey Horse Matters said...

The poor cop, that's very funny. Wonder if he believed you or thought you had someone tied up in the basement.